I’m a big fan of Dr. Mark Hyman MD. The following is part of an email that he sent out about keeping yourself healthy over the holidays:
Stress can run down your immune system leaving you sick, tired, and wondering where the joy of this season went. So I want to remind you of the things you should do to ensure that you stay healthy through this holiday season.
As always, make sure to eat a whole foods diet with plenty of fresh vegetables, keep up with your exercise routine, and even squeeze in some relaxation time! Plus, provide your body with the extra nourishment it needs with appropriate vitamins, minerals, and herbs. Here are the things that I recommend to all of my patients:
- A multivitamin – the foundation for any health support regimen.
- Vitamin D3 – very important through the winter months.
- Buffered Vitamin C – well known for its support of your immune system.
- Fish Oil – an old time remedy for good health that still stands true.
- Probiotics – to support a healthy gut, a major barrier against pathogens and integral to the immune system.
- Beta Glucans – helps your white blood cells do their protective role.
- Cordyceps and mushroom extract – provide immune supporting properties.
For those who need extra support, also add:
- Zinc citrate – a powerful immune supporting nutrient.
- Natural anti-viral/anti-bacterial herbs – many herbs have broad-spectrum antimicrobial or immune-enhancing effects.